Why Be a Foster Grandparent Volunteer
- Age 55 years or older, male or female, live in Wapello County
- Willing to volunteer 20 or more hours a week
- Volunteer for 9 or 12 month time period
- Enjoy working with children on an individual basis; in schools, pre-schools, child care centers, Head Start, etc.
- Meet income guidelines: single person $1861.00 or less per month / 2 persons $2,5021.67 or less per month
- Receive approximately $240 to $480 a month tax-free income as a reimbursement for your volunteer effort that does not affect: Title XIX, SSI, Rent Status, Heat Assistance or any benefit you are receiving
- Free yearly physical
- One meal furnished during volunteer hours
- Receive 20 hours of pre-service training
- Monthly In-Service training
- Paid Holidays
- Paid time-off for medical and vacation
- Paid mileage (if you drive your car)
- Transportation (public) may be available if you have no car
- Self-satisfaction in knowing you make a difference in the life of a child!
- Being with children will keep you active and young at heart!
- Meet new people and make new friends!
- Giving a little bit of your lifetime of knowledge back to society!
- Receive many hugs and smiles each day!
- Please help: BRIGHTEN A CHILD’S DAY!
Click to view and print: Foster Grandparent Volunteer Application
Clay Courtney, Program Director
217 East 5th Street
PO Box 656
Ottumwa IA 52501
phone: 641-682-3449 ext 103