Iowa Aftercare Services Network
Voluntary services and support offered through the Iowa Aftercare Services Network (IASN) are designed to help foster care alumni ages 18 – 23 move toward stability and self-sufficiency in six key areas: education, employment, housing, health, life skills, and relationships. Participants meet at least twice monthly with a Self-Sufficiency Advocate (SSA) who partners with youth to help them address barriers and develop skills to achieve their individual goals. In addition, needs-based financial support is available to youth who qualify for the Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) program.
Aftercare Services may be contacted several months prior to a young person’s planned exit from the foster care system. Aftercare SSAs are available to attend Family Team Decision-Making meetings, transition meetings, or other events related to a young person’s transition from care. Involvement prior to discharge helps SSAs build a relationship with eligible youth and facilitates a connection to Aftercare services.
Eleven Iowa Human Services agencies collaborate to form the Network so local agencies can deliver services to youth in each of Iowa’s 99 counties.
Iowa Aftercare Services Network can provide help if you are:
- Currently living anywhere in Iowa.
- A former foster care recipient who may have received services in a Family Foster Home, a Group Home, or through a DHS Supported Independent Living arrangement.
- At least 16 years old but not yet 23 years old and left foster care at age 17 1/2 or older.
Iowa Aftercare Services Network can work with you to:
- Find and keep a safe place to live.
- Pay for emergency and unexpected bills.
- Find a doctor, dentist, or counselor.
- Set and reach your personal goals.
- Go to college or get job training.
- Find a job or career.
- Connect with other community resources and opportunities.
For more information regarding Aftercare services and eligibility requirements visit www.iowaaftercare.org or call 800-443-8336 to be referred to an IASN provider.
In Southeast Iowa, serving Wapello, Appanoose, Davis, Jefferson, Keokuk, Lucas, Mahaska, Monroe, Van Buren & Wayne counties contact: